Saturday 22 July 2017

Review: Aurable by Laura Dockrill

Publisher: Hot Key Books
Publication Date: June 1st 20166
Source: Review copy from publisher
Series: Sequel to Lorali 

[ Goodreads ]         [ Book Depository

Blurb: 

It has been two years since Rory drowned, and Lorali is in Hastings, living the quiet life of a normal teenage girl. But her safe life on land won't last for long. Life in The Whirl has become a hotbed of underwater politics and as the council jostles to oust the king, one Mer in particular has her eye on Lorali as the key to her own rise to power.


Meanwhile, Aurabel, a lowly Mer from the wrong side of the trench, is attacked by sea beasts and left for dead - and without a tail. Raging with righteous anger, she rebuilds herself a mechanical tail and reinvents herself as a fearless steampunk Mer seeking revenge. But she never expected the most important job that was about to drop into her lap.



 Thank you to Hot Key Books for sending me a copy of this novel in exchange for a full review. 

I read Lorali last year and really enjoyed the novel. I didn't think there was going to be a sequel but I was so happy when I heard that there was one! I actually feel like I enjoyed this novel even more than the first in the series, which is not something I would ever usually think. 

Aurabel takes place two years after the end of the previous novel. Lorali is mourning the loss of Rory and is living in the human world. She spends most of her time at home with Rory's mum or helping out at the shop with Iris and Flynn. I really enjoyed reading about Lorali's life on land and her relationships with Irish, Flynn and Cheryl and how quickly she was accepted into the life Rory had left behind. There was some really heartwarming scenes with her and Flynn where they both comforted each other in their shared grief over Rory. Lorali is such an interesting and honest character and I love reading from her perspective. Also I love reading from The Sea's perspective. 


The plot of the novel was completely captivating. The world Laura Dockrill has created completely engages the reader as they fall head over heels for the characters and the story. The characters were engaging, realistic and unique. It didn't take long for each character to have a special place in my heart. I loved the new characters that were introduced in this novel, especially Aurabel and Sienna, one of the best villains I've read in a very long time. 
The plot was so thrilling with so many twists and turns that I did not see coming at all. A few moments actually shocked me and I am so impressed by Laura Dockrill's incredible talent and imagination. 

Also, LGBT representation in a mer story- can I get a HECK YES!

Laura Dockrills writing is a breath of fresh air. Her writing has an incredible flow that takes the reader through the story. Laura has created such an incredibly vivid seaside setting and a vivid undersea world of mer life filled with intricate details, relationships, politics etc,. 
The novel also contains short chapter which make the reader keep reading on. 

The novels text is broken up by the inclusion of little snippets of fangirl site chatrooms. Since the introduction of mermaids into the human world of the series, fan sites / chatrooms such as "Lorali appreciation society" were formed and we get to see snippets of their online conversation in the novel. I found this to be so funny as those in the chatroom are so over the top and Laura writes their conversation so hilariously. 
An imaginative addition to the story and a great way to add humour and break up the novels text a little. 

I enjoyed this novel even more than the previous novel, Lorali, and I would definitely re-read the novel in the future. Hugely imaginative and engaging novel that will have you hooked (no pun intended).  I highly recommend this novel for summer time reading, or even in the winter....anytime as long as you are reading it !! Also look at that beautiful cover, shout out to the talented designer Alexandra Allden. 





No comments:

Post a Comment