Saturday 20 August 2016

Review: Harry Potter & The Cursed Child by JK Rowling, John Tiffany & Jack Thorne

Publisher: Little Brown UK
Publication Date: July 31st 2016
Source: Gift

[ Goodreads ]           [ Book Depository ]


Blurb:

Based on an original new story by J.K. Rowling, Jack Thorne and John Tiffany, a new play by Jack Thorne, Harry Potter and the Cursed Child is the eighth story in the Harry Potter series and the first official Harry Potter story to be presented on stage. The play will receive its world premiere in London’s West End on July 30, 2016.

It was always difficult being Harry Potter and it isn’t much easier now that he is an overworked employee of the Ministry of Magic, a husband and father of three school-age children.

While Harry grapples with a past that refuses to stay where it belongs, his youngest son Albus must struggle with the weight of a family legacy he never wanted. As past and present fuse ominously, both father and son learn the uncomfortable truth: sometimes, darkness comes from unexpected places.


 I can not describe the sheer joy I felt when my dad & sister got me this book as a present! I love them so much and could not wait to dive straight back into the Harry Potter wizarding world. Here is my *spoiler free* review. 

So this book is not a book, it is a script. I do have to admit that I was at first a little skeptical about reading a play's script as I have not read a play since secondary school. Although it was a little jarring at first, I soon got used to the idea and quickly it felt like reading a normal book as I was swept up by the story.

The Cursed Child tells the story of Albus Severus Potter, a boy who has had to grown up in the shadow of his dads legacy. Being Harry Potter's son has taken it's toll on Albus and through the course of the story we see how this affects Albus's life at school, his relationship with his father and also shows the expectations others have towards Harry's children. 

Albus is a character that the reader / audience take into their heart from the very beginning. Albus is so like his dad in certain ways, such as his spontaneous nature and bravery, yet is also struggling with thinking he will never live to be like dad. 


Scorpious was without a doubt my favourite character in this play. Sassy, full of hilarious puns and such a brilliant friend and companion to Albus. Scorpious also has a sadder side with his home life and it makes you love him even more. Draco & Scorpious's relationship was also wonderful to read about. Adult Draco was also one of my favourite characters in the play. How protective and loving Draco was towards Scorpious showed a totally different side to Draco than the reader had previously known which I really enjoyed. 

I was worried I wouldn't gel with Jack Thorne's writing style but I was so pleasantly surprised as I felt Jack Thorne wrote the story and characters just as the reader would imagine them. I loved the blend of old characters like; the golden trio, Prof McGonagall etc, and the new characters; Scorpious, Albus, Delphi etc,. I loved seeing the Golden Trio as adults, them going to work and their home life was all so interesting to read as its something all fans have imagined since the original series ended. Loved the way the play addressed Albus Dumbledore's flaws too. 

The only thing I did not like that much was Ron's character. Ron as an adult was just....strange to me. His whole character and personality just felt off to me, it just did not seem like Ron. I felt like he wasn't really apart of the story to contribute to the plot but more as a background character that the reader could laugh at as he came out with bizarre and random things. I feel like his character could have definitely been improved on. 

The hilarious dialogue of the novel made me laugh so hard at times. I also loved the little quotes or throwbacks in the Cursed Child that reminded the reader of the original series, like how Harry gave Albus the same advice Mrs Weasley gave him as he first passed through the barrier to platform 9 & 3/4's. 
I adored seeing the wizarding world again. Classes at Hogwarts, Quidditch, the Hogwarts Express- all made me so nostalgic about the original series and so happy to just be reading from the world again. The emotions got the better of me at times, definitely one to make you feel all the feels again. 
The plot arc and pace of the play's story was perfect. I was never bored or skimming ahead to finish early. (Also that Trolley Witch scene.....I mean how absolutely terrifying was that?!)

Overall, I felt that The Cursed Child was a wonderful companion to the series. It was wonderful to see the wizarding world again and revisit old characters and meet new ones. Jack Thorne has done a wonderful job in taking on the HP world and what I would give to see the play! One thing I would have loved to have seen was Teddy Lupin too. Feel free to comment below and tell me what you thought of The Cursed Child







2 comments:

  1. Most of the reviews I've been seeing for have been relatively negative, so I'm so glad that it lived up to your expectations and that you enjoyed it. :) Thanks for sharing and, as always, fabulous review! <3

    ~ Zoe @ Stories on Stage

    ReplyDelete
  2. As I said in my own review, we all love reading anything in this world so I was optimistic about it. It was a good adventure story and it was great to be back in that world. Great review!

    ReplyDelete