Saturday 5 December 2015

Movie Review: Mockingjay Part 2




So you may or may not know, that The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins is one of my favourite book series of all time. It is also the first dystopian series I read.

I also am a big fan of the film adaptations and feel they have been done well. Usually I'm so hesitant about book to movie adaptations because I think all book lovers have felt the pain of having their favourite book turned into an awful movie.

In terms of Mockingjay Part 2, I left the cinema thinking of just how well the movie portrayed the book and stayed so true to the book. I absolutely loved the movie and I think if I had to rank the film series from least favourite to favourite, it would read;


  1. The Hunger Games
  2. Mockingjay Part 1
  3. Catching Fire
  4. Mockingjay Part 2
So lets talk a little about what I felt about the movie. 

First off, let me apologise if this review reads as being a little disjointed. I just have too many feels about this movie to organise my thoughts! 




Okay so one of the scenes I really enjoyed because it was so action packed was when the "star squad" aka squad 451 went to the Capital. The scene when they were in that courtyard and the pods went off....oh my god so intense. I loved how they portrayed the pods in the movie.

  I also loved the relationship between Finnick and Peeta in this film, the constant checking he was fine and talking to him and reassuring him. Honestly Finnick is the best kind of person. I also was somewhat sad the film did not fully show the friendship that grows between Johanna and Katniss.


So that whole scene  of when the pods went off and there was that crazy black water / goo that tore you apart. Oh my god I was on the edge of my seat. Especially when Peeta tried to attack Katniss with his gun and then shoved that guy into the black stuff and he died! 

I thought it was so sad when one of the Leeg twins got injured when one of the pods when off in the courtyard. I teared up so much when both sisters had to stay behind in that apartment block to look after the injured Leeg sister and then the Capital blew up the building ! 



I felt that this film made me appreciate and realise that I loved a lot of the minor characters in the series. Like Boggs, Pollux and Tigress. Honestly, I love Boggs. He is protective of Katniss without belittling her and treats her as an equal. When he got caught in the explosion in the courtyard and gave the holo to Katniss, I cried so much.  Pollux is honestly a wonderful character. He is so sweet and brave and believes in Katniss so much. When Pollux was crying after his brother died, I couldn't contain myself. It was too sad. Also the scene where they went into the tunnels and his brother told Katniss of how Pollux was locked down here and forced to work after his tongue was cut out was so sad. Also how badass was Cressida ?!

Tigress was a great character. I loved seeing how someone who was loved by the capital before they turned their back on her. She was exactly like how I pictured her when I read the book. 




Coin....ugh. I have always hated Coin since I read the books and the movies just made me realise how much I hate her even more. Julianne Moore is so amazing at portraying Coin, I honestly don't think I will be able to read Mockingjay without picturing her as President Coin.








Okay so can we just talk about the frickin Haymitch and Effie kiss?!! Like holy crap wow I was not expecting that in any way at all. I cried such happy tears. Haymitch and Effie are so cute together. I loved the whole scene of her saying goodbye and it showing that she really does care about Peeta and Katniss and Haymitch. It really showed Effie as a compassionate person and not her capitol painted self that we met in the first film.  Gosh like the kiss was just perfect, the kiss on the cheek then they kissed and just yes movie directors thank you !! 


So lets talk about the deaths in Mockingjay. So I've already talked about Pollux losing his brother but let me talk a little about some of the main character deaths. Firstly, Finnick. Oh Finnick, his death in the book was possibly the worst for me and the way it was portrayed with those super freaky scary lizard mutts was terrible because we all knew it was coming as soon as he dropped the trident.

 I felt the scene was beautifully shot but I still cried so hard. 


Prim's death was a death I felt was symbolic and necessary to occur in the story. When I saw the parachutes come down and the hands of the capitol children reach up to receive the "gifts" I was like no no no no no ! 





The scene where Katniss returns to the victors mansion in District 12 after Prim dies and Buttercup arrives after having walked from district 13 to 12 just be at home with her. This scene where Katniss screams at the cat but the cat just ignores her and tries to comfort her as she completely breaks down with grief honestly highlights just how amazing Jennifer Lawrence's acting skills are. She deserves all the awards.

Peeta's return to District 12 was just so perfect, when Katniss was coming back from being back in the woods hunting again for the first time and Peeta was planting Primroses to honor her sister..honestly just such a beautiful scene. The reading of the letter from Annie was also a highlight as was Peeta and Katniss eating dinner with Haymitch. 

Although some people did not enjoy the epilogue scene, I did enjoy it. I loved seeing Katniss & Peeta living a normal and happy life after all of their trauma. "There are worse games to play". 








SEE MY REVIEWS OF THG SERIES :  (The Hunger Games)  (Catching Fire) (Mockingjay)


2 comments:

  1. YAY for The Hunger Games!!! I love JLaw as Katniss more than I like book Katniss. She really does deserve all the awards. I thought the movie held up to the rest of the series... I just wish Peeta and Katniss had a better ending scene. I mean, they didn't even kiss after he came back to district 12! I wanted kissing :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved this film too! I agree - it's my favourite film of them all. I don't ship Everlark, so I really didn't enjoy the scenes at the end. But, it was beautifully shot, and the acting was impeccable. It was really long, and it could have been shortened a bit, in my opinion.

    I'm glad to hear you enjoyed the films! Thanks for sharing your thoughts, Shannon ♥
    Denise | The Bibliolater

    ReplyDelete