Wednesday 25 December 2013

Review: Finding Home by Lauren Mc Kellar

Release Date: 1 October 2013 | Published by: Escape Publishing | Source: Negalley | Format: eReview Copy|

Plot: Moody, atmospheric, and just a little bit punk, Finding Home takes contemporary YA to a new level of grit...

When Amy’s mum dies, the last thing she expects is to be kicked off her dad’s music tour all the way to her Aunt Lou in a depressing hole of a seaside town. But it’s okay — Amy learned how to cope with the best, and soon finds a hard-drinking, party-loving crowd to help ease the pain. 

The only solace is her music class, but even there she can’t seem to keep it together, sabotaging her grade and her one chance at a meaningful relationship. It takes a hard truth from her only friend before Amy realises that she has to come to terms with her past, before she destroys her future.



Review: 

Thank you to those at Escape Publishing, Netgalley and the author for allowing me to read and review this book. 

Can I firstly talk about how stricking this cover is. I love the indie look it gives to the book. I love the photography of it and feel it really ties in well with the mood of the novel. 


The characters of the novel were good but not great. I feel that because the novel is so short, only 162 pages long, that we don't really get much character development in the novel apart from our protagonists. I disliked Amy's character as she blamed others instead of sorting her own problems.I really liked Nick as I enjoyed his mysterious and alluring nature in the novel. I thought he was going to be the "bad boy" of the novel but he wasn't. I didn't really feel anything towards the other characters in the novel- good or bad. I felt the rest of the characters were a little bland but that may be a result of the book being so short. 

I enjoyed the plot of the novel but I did find it a little predictable most of the time. I liked the way the author handled the issue of alcohol abuse in teens and the affect of fame at a young age on a child. I feel like I don't see these theme often in YA novels and I liked it in this novel. 

Overall I liked the novel but I didn't love it. I felt it was a good contemporary that was very honest in its approach, if a little cliche at times. 


Rating: 

Three Star Novel 

*   *   *

Find Me: | Twitter |  Facebook  |Tumblr  |  GoodReads  | 

No comments:

Post a Comment