Monday 5 August 2013

Review: Will Grayson, Will Grayson by John Green & David Levithan

Blurb: 

One cold night, in a most unlikely corner of Chicago, two teens—both named Will Grayson—are about to cross paths. As their worlds collide and intertwine, the Will Graysons find their lives going in new and unexpected directions, building toward romantic turns-of-heart and the epic production of history’s most fabulous high school musical.

Hilarious, poignant, and deeply insightful, John Green and David Levithan’s collaborative novel is brimming with a double helping of the heart and humour that have won both of them legions of faithful fans.







My Review: 

Before reading this book, I had heard many negative reviews . So many people told me that this book, Will Grayson, Will Grayson, was their least favourite and worst John Green book they had read. I'd heard so many negative things about the book that when I started it, I was so surprised by how much I loved the book. 

The characters of this book can be summed up into one word: Memorable. The characters in this book were so unique and hilarious and amazing. The book revolves around two boys who are very different but share one similarity : they're both named Will Grayson. Will Grayson (1) is a very introverted, shy boy who is living in the shadow of his loud and bubbly friend Tiny, who I seriously loved. I really loved this Will Grayson as he was funny, caring, loyal and really sweet. I loved his friendship with Tiny although it was not perfect. I also really shipped him and Jane. 

Will Grayson (2) is the polar opposite of Will Grayson (1). He is moody, sarcastic, depressed and lonely. Where Will Grayson (1) had at least one loyal friend, this Will has almost none. He is devoted to his online best friend who he has never met in real life. He is very angsty with an "I-Hate-Everyone" exclamation point attitude. He could at times make the reader visualise just how sad and depressed he was, but then other times have the reader laughing at his sarcastic humour, for example this rant on "Internet sayings" ; 

"or ttyl. bitch, you're not actually talking. that would require actual vocal contact. or rofl! what? are you really rolling on the floor laughing? well, please stay down there a sec while I KICK YOUR ASS"

I really liked the plot of the novel. The meeting of both Will Graysons did not pan out like I expected, which I am glad about. I also really enjoyed the musical side to the plot. Tiny was so inventive with his musical and his ideas for it. The moment I had finished the third chapter of the book I couldn't get out. I was so emotionally invested in the characters, the plot, the musical and the relationships that I couldn't think of anything for days after finishing this book. 

The writing style of this book was very good. I'm a little new to David Levithan, I've only ever read books that he has wrote with another author like Dash & Lily's Book Of Dares which he wrote with Rachel Cohn, but what I've read of him so far I've really enjoyed. I was very proud of myself for being able to know which Will Grayson was written by John Green and the other by David Levithan. The writing style of the book was great. It was filled with beautiful descriptions and character monologues and amazing quotes. It also dealt with sexuality, feeling comfortable in your sexuality and not being embarrassed or ashamed of it. I really liked this positive message and thought it would be a very good one for readers to take to heart- to themselves be comfortable in their sexuality but also to not discriminate against others sexualities. It also addressed the online dangers, which is an old message but a good one all the same. The ending of the book is one of the best endings I've read in a long time. If you don't believe me, read the book and find out! 

Overall, an amazing unique book filled with emotion and musical numbers. 

Rating: 

Five Stars 

*  *   *   *  *

No comments:

Post a Comment