Monday 12 August 2013

ARC Review: Forgive Me, Leonard Peacock by Matthew Quick

Release Date: Aug 13
Format: ARC (Advanced Reader Copy)
Plot: How would you spend your birthday if you knew it would be your last?

Eighteen-year-old Leonard Peacock knows exactly what he'll do. He'll say goodbye.

Not to his mum - who he calls Linda because it annoys her - who's moved out and left him to fend for himself. Nor to his former best friend, whose torments have driven him to consider committing the unthinkable. But to his four friends: a Humphrey-Bogart-obsessed neighbour, a teenage violin virtuoso, a pastor's daughter and a teacher.

Most of the time, Leonard believes he's weird and sad but these friends have made him think that maybe he's not. He wants to thank them, and say goodbye.


Review: 

Firstly, I would like to thank Easons Ireland for sending me this Advanced Reader Copy edition of this book. They also sent me a matching bookmark- which I love ! Thank you Easons for sending me this wonderful book. Please check out their facebook page here. 





One of the things I really loved about this book was the characters. Quick creates some of the most unique and memorable characters. The protagonist, Leonard Peacock, is very unique. He is a very bright and intelligent young man who does not fit in with other people his age. I really enjoyed reading the book from his perspective as he had a very quick mind and his narrations really gripped me to the story. Over the course of the story I grew really attached to Leonard -and I did cry at one or two points. Leonards "relationship" with his mother was heart breaking. She was so cold, neglectful and an all round bad mother. She was my least favourite character because she was so selfish and just didn't really care for her son even when he was asking for help.

Another thing about the book that is unique, is the mish-mash of characters who you wouldn't think would have connections. Leonard's friends are: a teenage violinist, a German teacher, an elderly man and a pastors daughter. I loved reading about each unusual character and their interactions with Leonard and how their relationships began. My favourite side-characters were definitely Herr Silverman and Walt. Herr Silverman is Leonards German Holocaust teacher at his high school. This teacher cares so much for his pupils and treats them with so much respect, that it was really nice to read about what a good person he is. He becomes very close with Leonard and I really enjoyed reading about their relationship. Walt is an elderly neighbour who is obsessed with Bogart movies. He and Leonard sit and watch the movies for hours on end and even converse in Bogart movie quotes. Their friendship was so heartwarming and shows you can find friendship anywhere. 

The plot of the book was very interesting. I've never read a book about a school shooting before, so it was a first. I found it very interesting to see just how deep Leonards depression went. How he was driven to rationalise such an extreme and unthinkable act. The plot of the book really brings the reader on a journey with Leonard as he prepares for the double execution, or murder-suicide. I was gripped by the story as we read about Leonard going from A to B with his Nazi P-38 planning and plotting and trying to ready himself for the task ahead. I really enjoyed the way the plot slipped in and out of "flashback" moments to help move the plot along and slowly bring the reader to the full knowledge of what has driven Leonard to the point he is at now. The plot moved at a very good pace and made for a heart pounding read. 

The writing style of the book was phenomenal . Matthew Quick's use of language added to the flow of the book and really engaged the reader. I really liked Matthew Quicks ability to get inside the mind of a depression sufferer in such an accurate way.(Also: Warning this book does contain depression triggers.) He has made such amazing and believable characters in this book and that is something I always enjoy. I also loved the format of the book. This is a book that contains footnotes and, as you know from my An Abundance Of Katherines review, I love books with footnotes. It gave the book just another little interesting factor that I really liked. 

Overall this was an absolutely amazing book. It is without a doubt one of the best books I've read this year. I may have to pick up Matthew Quicks novel The Silver Linings Playbook as I really would like to read more of his work. If you liked Forgive Me, Leonard Peacock you may also like The Perks Of Being A Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky , It's Kind Of A Funny Story by Ned Vizzini and Just In Case by Meg Rosoff .


Rating: 

Five Star Novel. 

*  *  *  *  *





No comments:

Post a Comment