Friday 5 July 2013

Book Review: Kiss of Death by Rachel Caine (M.V#8)

Blurb: Claire Danvers has a few things on her mind. First of all there is the laundry, which is now an unfortunate shade of pink. Then there is her boyfriend, Shane, who is never too far from her thoughts. Finally there is her best friend Eve’s relationship problems. As if life as a student wasn’t complicated enough, Claire just happens to be studying in Morganville. A town run by vampires. Trouble seems to follow Claire and her friends like a shadow and tonight is no exception to the rule. They must find the most difficult documents for a vampire to acquire; people passes that will allow ‘bad ass’ Morley and his friends to leave Morganville. But it’s proving incredibly difficult, and with the odds seemingly stacked against them, the biggest question of all is…Will they survive?


MY REVIEW: 
[This review WILL CONTAIN SPOILERS. ] Like my reviews on Facebook



This is the eighth book in the Morganville Vampires series by Rachel Caine. I didn't enjoy this book as much as I would usually enjoy the books of this series. For me this is the worst book of the series. 

I enjoyed Rachel Caines writing style - as always, she creates an engaging plot with a few snippets of witty dialogue thrown in for good measure. I found this book to be really funny and sarcastic, which is something I do enjoy a lot about the series. She really has created an amazing world with unique characters that fans of the series love. 

I didn't really feel this book contributed to the plot in any way. Two words can sum up this plot: ROAD TRIP. I am not really the type of person to enjoy road trip books so this was not my cup of tea. I was a little bored in this book. I felt there could have been more conflict or action, especially towards the end. I didn't feel this book contributed to the series and if you skipped it, you wouldn't be at a disadvantage to others who have read all of the books. 

I know the series is mostly character driven but I felt it could have been done a little better. I was sad there wasn't enough Myrnin or Amelie in this book, you guys know how hard I ship Myrnin and Claire. Also is anyone else getting tired of Shane? I mean he  is a nice guy, but he feels to me like he is pressuring Claire and trying to get her to leave her family and run away from Morganville. He's also a little possessive of her. The only character development in the book was Oliver's. We got to see a more vulnerable Oliver and then see a little bit of a fun side to him as he had a little bit of banter with Eve. (I think I'm starting to ship them guys..). 

Overall, an okay book. Not the best in the series, a little boring but an okay read. I'm probably being too generous with this rating.....



Rating: 



Three Star Book 


*    *     *



Favourite Quote: *

Shane looked down at the staked vamp at his feet. "Claire?"
"Yes?"
"You staked a vampire with a number two pencil."
"I didn't actually check the number."
"Have I told you lately how freaking awesome you are?"


* (should I do a favourite quote at the end of all my reviews? Let me know in the comments please. )

No comments:

Post a Comment