Sunday 21 April 2013

Review: Artemis Fowl (#3):The Eternity Code by Eoin Colfer

Blurb:

Artemis Fowl is going straight—as soon as he pulls off the most brilliant criminal feat of his career...

At least, that's the plan when he attempts to sell his C Cube, a supercomputer built from stolen fairy technology, to Jon Spiro, one of the most dangerous business in the world. But Spiro spring a trap—stealing the C Cube and mortally injuring Butler. Artemis' only hope of saving his loyal bodyguard is to employ fairy magic; so once again he must contact his old rival, Captain Holly Short of the LEPrecon police.

It's going to take a miracle to save Butler, and Artemis's luck may have just run out...



My Review:

Although the Artemis Fowl series has a main target age of children aged 12-14, I find that I am not alone in the group of people who largely enjoy the series outside of that target age. I am seventeen and still find the books enjoyable.

The plot of this novel shows a slightly changed Artemis Fowl who is selling modified faerie technology rather than kidnapping or stealing something as the main focus of the novel. I really enjoyed the plot of this novel. I really enjoyed the fat that it took place in the human world and was dealing with an ordinary, albeit evil, human being. The villain was Jon Spiro, an evil business man and not a fairytale creature from  Holly's world. I did think the novel was a little slow in the first one hundred pages or so, yet aside from this I thought the plot of the novel carried the book well. For me there was a good balance of character development, pacing and dialogue , but this can always be expected of a literary perfectionist like Eoin Colfer. 
The characters in this novel were very well written. I'm starting to get the feeling similar to when I read Harry Potter and you feel yourself comfortably slip back in amongst the world and the characters, with this series.I can see why these characters are such a big hit with younger children. Artemis shows a softer side in this novel as he shows how much he cares for Butler , Holly and the others in this novel. There was great character development for Artemis in this novel and I was so pleased to see Holly changing her views of Artemis, so far as to possibly consider him a friend. I also enjoyed learning more about the other minor characters we don't often get a glimpse of, such as Juliet, Butlers sister, and Artemis' mother and father. I was also very pleased to see the return of the infamous Mulch Diggums in this novel, he is really starting to grow on me! 
The ending of the novel has left me eager for more, and also excited to read Eoin Colfers new novel W.A.R.P: The Reluctant Assassin. 

Rating: 
Four Star novel.
 * * * * 

No comments:

Post a Comment