Sunday 24 February 2013

Book Review: January by Gabrielle Lord

Plot- 
On New Year's Eve, Cal is chased down the street by a staggering, sick man with a deadly warning..."They killed your father. They'll kill you. You must survive the next 365 days. Hurled into a life on the run the 15-year-old fugitive is isolated and alone.

My Review:
This is my 14th book of 2013! 
I really flew through this book and finished it in two days. 

So first up: Characters! The characters in this book were well thought of. We have the protagonist, Callum, and his best friend, Boges, who are both, in my opinion, awesome. I really enjoyed their characters and their friendship was really well written. Rafe is a character I don't like. I really  feel there is something sinister about him. The gangs of people that keep kidnapping Callum are so frightening. Gabrielle Lord really wrote the antagonists very well. 
The plot of this book was really interesting. I am so curious to find out what the "Ormund Riddle" and the "Ormund Singularity" really mean! The plot was so action packed and full of suspense. This book was such a page turner that I finished it in just 2 days! Gripping does not describe it. Although the first 50 pages of the novel were really slow, I felt the pace really picked up after that. I really liked reading about Callum's life on the run and reading about the lengths he has to go to survive! 
I really liked the way the pages of the book counted down from 185 so that the novel ended on page 1. I felt that really added suspense, even if it did make it a Little difficult for me to update my status on Goodreads!  I'm also really liking the way each novel is a month in Callums life. I think that is a really interesting way to have a series. 
Something I did not like about the book  was that at times the writing felt a little juvenile or childish and some sentences where badly phrased. This lessened my enjoyment of the novel a little. 
The cliff-hanger ending was very suspenseful and I am very glad to have the next instalment, February, on hand to read straight away! 

Rating
Four Star book
* * * *

No comments:

Post a Comment