Wednesday 9 January 2013

Review: A Midsummer Tights Dream by Louise Rennison

PLOT:
Performing Arts college, here I come again! Hold on to your tights!! Because I'm holding on to mine, I can tell you.
Tallulah Casey is back and ready to Irish-comedy-dance her way through another term at Dother Hall, but now that she's been officially admitted to the performing arts program, that won't cut it anymore. Especially if she's going to help raise enough money to keep the school from closing at the end of the year.
There are also some . . . distractions to worry about: The boys of Woolfe Academy are lingering about. And they are still boys, so they are still confusing.
Will Tallulah be able to test out her new snogging skills and ace her performance in this term's project, A Midsummer Night's Dream? Only time and more Irish comedy dancing will tell.
Louise Rennison returns with her trademark sidesplitting humor, sending Tallulah and her mates on another riotously spectacular (mis)adventure.


My Review:
This is the second book in the Misadventures of Tallulah Casey series. I read the first novel, Withering Tights, a long time ago but I did enjoy it. So when I got this for my Kindle, I was super excited.

The characters in this book are so awesome. They are hilarious, relatable and loveable. Tallulah is a lot like Georgia in some ways, they are both crazy, boy obsessed and sometimes selfish. Tallulah is a really great main character. She and her gang are really entertaining. Also, I'm going to miss Honey! I think a girl aged 13 and up would really enjoy this series, and the Georgia Nicholson series also.
The plot was quite good. I liked the tangents that Tallulah went off on as she was thinking and writing in her theatre notebook. She was very poetic at times, without meaning to I think, and I really liked the theatre setting. I also enjoyed all the measures that the school had gone to to cut back and save money. This is a relatable topic for me as we are currently in the middle of a crippling recession. The novel titles and their Play title puns are really funny. I also liked the irish atmosphere surronding Tallulahs character.
Another thing I love about the novel is Cain and Charlie !! They're so gorgeous....y'know in a fictional character that is 3 years younger than me kind of way...I meant from the eyes of Tallulah.. Anyways I really enjoyed her relationship and interactions with them both. Although at the beginning I was leaning more towards Charlie and really far away from Cain, The face licking thing, need I say more? But then towards the end of the novel, with Cain running away, leaving the romantic note for her and seeing her off at the train station, I really began to like his character.
Louise Rennison is an amazing, amazing author! Reading this book has made me fully appreciate her talent for writing and for getting inside the mindset of a modern teenage girl. Also she creates such awesome characters, setting, plot and funny catchphrases. After finishing this book I realised that I need to re-read the Georgia Nicholson novels and then watch the movie. The next book in the Mis adventures Of Tallulah Casey is out June 25 2013 and is called The Taming Of The Tights.

Rating:
Four Star Book
* * * *

No comments:

Post a Comment