Sunday 6 January 2013

Review: Finale by Becca Fitzpatrick

PLOT:
Will love conquer all?
Nora and Patch thought their troubles were behind them. Hank is gone and they should be able to put his ugly vendetta to rest. But in Hank's absence, Nora has become the unwitting head of the Nephilim and must finish what Hank began. Which ultimately means destroying the fallen angels - destroying Patch.
Nora will never let that happen, so she and Patch make a plan: lead everyone to believe they have broken up, and work the system from the inside. Nora will convince the Nephilim that they are making a mistake in fighting the fallen angels, and Patch will find out everything he can from the opposing side. They will end this war before it can even begin.
But the best-laid plans often go awry. Nora is put through the paces in her new role and finds herself drawn to an addictive power she never anticipated.As the battle lines are drawn, Nora and Patch must confront the differences that have always been between them and either choose to ignore them or let them destroy the love they have always fought for.


My Review:
This is the end of the Hush, Hush series ! This is a sad day for me, I've loved this series for two years and....ugh, I'm going to miss it.
Firstly, I want to talk about the character development in this novel.
Nora's character develops so much in this novel that if she met herself from Hush, Hush I think she wouldn't recognise herself. She has gone from being a geeky, loner to a nephilim, army leading, girlfriend of a fallen angel ! I think it also said that the four books were only seven months of Nora's life ! I mean woah...wait a minute... you've grown up that much in just seven months and I still laugh at "Knock-Knock" jokes I've heard no less that fourteen times before ! Can we just take a moment to appreciate her character development, like seriously. I have so much respect for Nora, and yeah I mean she can be a total airhead and not see things that are staring her directly in the face...and yeah sometimes I want to shake some sense into her but really, she has had so much happen to her and been thrust into so much without warning.
Vee is one of my favourite characters in the series. She is a funny and brutally honest character. I love her snide, cheeky comments about people and feel she is speaking the thought of the reader out loud in the novel. I also love Vee's confidence. I was largely disappointed that she wasn't in much of the novel but I did enjoy the twist  surrounding her character, that one I did not see coming ! I also loved Vee's relationship with Scott and loved seeing them both so happy together.
Marcie Millar. The antagonist of the series. I was really disappointed that Marcie's character did not change for the better in this novel, like it was starting to look, but I guess you have to hold some pity for her. She has been through a lot too in such a short amount of time. Yet some people never change and constantly make the wrong decisions in life. She really supplied a good antagonist to the series. I really think she was a well developed character,  even if she was not the nicest character in the series.

Plot-wise, I thought the book was good. I was a little gutted that I could see through the majority of characters changes, plot twists and turns, and felt I was almost able to predict what was about the happen in the novel. The Devil Craft was interesting but not gripping. In my opinion I feel that the hush hush novels are more character driven rather than plot driven. For me, It is m love and connection with the characters that kept me picking up the books and being interested in what was going to happen with them. I think if you like character driven novels with a good plot then these novels may be for you.
Fitzpatrick writings style has always been good. There was not really a slow moment in the novel. The ending was very fast paced and gripping, although for the final book in a series I am sure you would expect it to be that way. I think the epilogue and the Authors Note really made me give the novel the extra half star. The epilogue tied the loose ends of the story up nicely and left the reader feeling satisfied with the ending and with seeing what happened after. The Authors note really made me think of how much I have loved the series these past two years and really made me feel connected to it.
Overall, I though the book was really very good and although there were a few things I had a little trouble with I really enjoyed the novel. A really good end to a great series.

Rating:
Four and a half stars
* * * * 1/2

No comments:

Post a Comment