Friday 2 November 2012

If I Stay by Gayle Forman

Plot: Just listen, Adam says with a voice that sounds like shrapnel. I open my eyes wide now. I sit up as much as I can. And I listen. Stay, he says.

Everybody has to make choices. Some might break you. For seventeen-year-old Mia, surrounded by a wonderful family, friends and a gorgeous boyfriend decisions might seem tough, but they're all about a future full of music and love, a future that's brimming with hope.

But life can change in an instant.

A cold February morning ...a snowy road ...and suddenly all of Mia's choices are gone. Except one. As alone as she'll ever be, Mia must make the most difficult choice of all.


My Review:
I had heard so much positive reviews for this book that I feel it was natural for me to assume I would enjoy it when I was starting it. Although I was right to assume that I would enjoy the book, I did feel it was not as good as I'd hoped.

I really enjoyed the characters . I felt connected to them all and felt they were very well developed.
The pacing of the plot was just right. I also felt the writing style of the book from Mia's perspective, felt almost like a constant stream of consciousness and Mia's thoughts. I really enjoyed that aspect of the novel.
I also liked that Mia did not feel any resentment towards the driver of the truck that caused their accident. I really felt this highlighted Mia's kind heart and her forgiving nature. She is definitely a character that you admire while reading the novel.
I liked the relationship Mia has with not only the boyfriend, Adam, but also with her family, parents,brother and all. I enjoyed this as I am sick to death of YA novels where the parents are not apart of their teenagers life and the teenager just cares about the love interest. I felt all the relationships in the book were realistic and gripping. The novel itself really makes you think about God, the afterlife and whether we have a choice in our death. I really enjoyed this aspect of the book as it really made me ponder a lot of topics. I also enjoyed Mia's out of body experiences as I've rarely encountered this in Ya books that I've read.
I enjoyed this book but I did feel that it did not live up the all the hype I had heard surrounding the book. I have bought the next book so I think I will continue with the series. I would recommend this book to those who liked Before I Die by Jenny Downham or The Sky Is Everywhere by Jandy Nelson.

Overall Rating : A Four Star book  * * * *  (a good winter read!)

2 comments:

  1. I hadn't seen this cover before!
    I didn't like the book though, it was too slow and dragging for my taste :-(

    New follower

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have read a lot of reviews that share your opinion. I personally love the cover! Thanks so much Lectus Read for following me :D

      Delete