Saturday 20 October 2012

The Lightning Thief by Rick Riordan

Blurb: 

Percy Jackson is about to be kicked out of boarding school... again. And that's the least of his troubles. Lately, mythological monsters and the gods of Mount Olympus seem to be walking straight out of the pages of Percy's Greek mythology textbook and into his life. And worse, he's angered a few of them. Zeus' master lightning bolt has been stolen, and Percy is the prime suspect.

Now Percy and his friends have just ten days to find and return Zeus' stolen property and bring peace to a warring Mount Olympus. But to succeed on his quest, Percy will have to do more than catch the true thief: he must come to terms with the father who abandoned him; solve the riddle of the Oracle, which warns him of betrayal by a friend; and unravel a treachery more powerful than the gods themselves.





Oh my gods guys! This book was awesome. I was a bit sceptical about reading it as I've seen the film  a few years ago when it came out first, and I didn't like it. I was pleasantly  surprised by how much better the novel was. Rick Riordan creates a world of Demigods and Half Bloods that almost lives off the page by how well it is written and by how huge the fandom surrounding this series is. Of course I had heard the hype surrounding this series, and I'm glad to say it lives up to that hype and them some!




The characters were awesome. I loved Grovers loyalty and his half-goat-saytr role . He was such an awesome best friend. Annabeth was a kick ass heroine, who had both brains an looks. Our protagonist, Percy Jackson, was the perfect main character. We see all his struggles, from dyslexia, ADHD to facing monsters, through his eyes and we become so bonded to him. 

I loved seeing the friendships form throughout the story and how that friendship deepened as the story went on. The monsters and the battles were so awesome! I want to be in Camp Half Blood!

The plot was so gripping. I was so interested in everything. From the Greek mythology, the demigods, the monsters and the ultimate question who is the lightening thief? I loved how their adventures coincided with a time restricted quest and how the reader is always thinking "Ohmigod, they are not going to make it! Please let them make it". 

 I also really liked that Percy was 12. Being that age made him fit into the story a lot more. He starts to notice girls, has special bond with his mother and has huge sense of adventure. The plot was amazing, never read anything like it before!


The writing style was excellent. I felt Riordan managed to capture both the creative fantasy writing style of both Jk Rowling and JRR Tolkein . The writing style was so captivating, the phrasing was spot on and the pacing was just right. I felt he wrote perfectly from Percy's perspective and really brought the characters to life.

I Loved the ending guys, not gonna spoil it but the whole Gabe thing that was awesome. Overall, guys if you have not read this book, I strongly recommend doing so.





No comments:

Post a Comment