Wednesday 11 July 2012

Looking For Alaska by John Green

Looking For Alaska by John Green.

PAGES: 268 pages
TIME TO READ:  2 Days

SYNOPSIS:
Miles Halter is fascinated by famous last words and tired of his safe life at home. He leaves for boarding school to seek what the dying poet Francois Rabelais called the "Great Perhaps." Much awaits Miles at Culver Creek, including Alaska Young. Clever, funny, screwed-up, and dead sexy, Alaska will pull Miles into her labyrinth and catapult him into the Great Perhaps.


MY REVIEW:
CHARACTERS: 5/5
Miles was a really good main character, He was timid, intelligent and really fun. I disliked the way the Colonel pushed him around at times, but I was glad he stood up to him in the end.
Takumi was a really awesome character, although I felt that Alaska, Miles and The colonel did leave him out of their plans alot. He was really nice and a good friend.
Alaska herself was an enigma, a mystery from the beginning. At first I found her odd but she grew on me and then BAM! It was so sad! I loved her relationship with Miles, even though she had a perfectly nice boyfriend, and I loved her scheming and plan making mind.

PLOT: 4/5
I don't read many boarding school novels, I hear they have a bad reputation, but this novel was really good. It exceeded my expectations and was leaps and bounds better that Paper Towns. The plot was interesting and intriguing. I loved reading about their pranks and all the mischief they got up to at the school, who didn't love the Alaska Young Prank at the end? The plot was hilarious and fun and just all round awesome. It did tell what it really is like to live in a boarding school and I really enjoyed that.

WRITING STYLE: 5/5
As you know, John Green is one of the most loved authors on the Internet! He writes his books with such honesty and heart that it is hard not to love them! He really connects with his fans through facebook, twitter and YouTube. I really enjoy the writing style of this book, I remember being so intrigued and curious to find out what the "Before" and "After" was. Before and After what, I remember asking myself. I really liked his dialogue and character building, It really helped the reader to connect with the characters.

OVERALL RATING: 14/15
a five star book
* * * * *
3 Kleenex boxes- I teared up :(

No comments:

Post a Comment